Saturday, January 30, 2010

Freezing N Stitching N Writing N Things

It's Cold ... like 2 degrees cold! No ice though, so I can't really complain. Did I mention it's cold?

Damn heddle loom .. still giggling at me and my frustrated attempts to make it work so I can become all zen-like. I will NOT fail at this ... I'm a tenacious impatient perfectionist ... and I WILL prevail! Besides, I KNOW it's something that I've done in threading the loom ... I just have no idea yet what it could be!!

I did felt two more wool scarves on Wednesday though. One, while really cool and out of merino wool mixed with silk (aka incredibly soft and silky looking), is not quite what I was looking for .. it needs to be a bit more glam/flashy. So will try another in the same or similar colors but with more glitz added to it. When I have time, that is. I so LOVE working with the Artfelt paper technique of felting ... just do your layout and wet it completely down and ... throw it in the dryer for a couple of short periods. Pour boiling water over it .. stomp it dry in a towel and then hang to finish drying. Makes life so much simpler and saves on those back/arm muscles. Though, in summer weather, doing wet felting the 'old fashioned way' is very ZEN and nice being outside with the singing birdies!
I realized the other day that I'd not shown you the 'doll' I'd made for mom for her Christmas/Birthday present. Please remember these dolls ARE meant to be characterizations rather than actually lifelike ... no matter how I tried, her face refused to be changed! LOL Mom just loves her .. she sits on the ledge that separates her kitchen from her living room. I think what mom loves the most is that they BOTH have the same shawl!!

Tonight more stitching on my agenda .. and tomorrow as well, after I take mom grocery shopping (IF she remembers that we're going grocery shopping, that is!). Then I expect a package from Maureen Appleton of The Heart's Content. I'm going to stitch a silk gauze model for her for the Nashville Market. Maureen wrote me that ... "Two of my model stitchers recently passed (cancer), and another just took ill earlier this week, and I am left hanging. I am terribly sad about this horrible disease, as it affects all of us. Too sad to lose two great friends."
While I'm stitching that for her, everything else in my life will have to come to a complete standstill .. Maureen's project will take center stage!
Ok .. LouAnn brought me a hot beverage on her trip back from the bank this morning .. time to go drink that, get a bit warmer, and start the work day properly!
:)





2 comments:

Melanie said...

Wow, you've been really busy, what with the felting and the looming, etc. I *love* the doll you made for your mom....it's adorable!

Stay warm! Hope to see you soon!

Cupcake Recipes said...

Appreciate your blog postt