It was in a class with Teresa Layman that the veil was lifted from my eyes and that knowledge has never left my fingers!
Teresa Layman Designs is the designer of those teensy little Knotted designs! She says on her web site: designs are small and sweet. They bring that feel-good warmth to all who see them and bring a real sense of satisfaction to those who stitch them. These are the original miniature
knotwork designs that have made so many people gasp and say, “Oh my gosh, that’s beautiful! How do you do that?” Amazingly the technique is very simple... Simple and beautiful, is there a better combination?
The problem most have with French Knots is:
- they "wrap the floss" around the needle more than once. Two or three wraps = the beginning of a Bullion Knot, which by it's very nature is a "flat knotted stitch" and that' s why your knot falls over instead of just sitting there.
- they try to put the needle, once wrapped, back through the same hole the needle came up through. It should go down "next to but not in" that hole.
- they don't hold the thread in their other hand as the needle goes back down, thereby controlling the tension for "knot control".
AND then there's the Colonial Knot ... for when you want a larger knot (instead of doing a French Knot around a larger sized" needle) or are looking for a very round knot. Once you have THIS knot down, you'll probably always use it in place of a French!
If you want to get over any "knot aversion", simply get one of Teresa' s little designs and you'll be knotting like a pro in no time! http://www.stitchesnthings.com/detail.cfm?ID=12849
Pre-printed design on "rug" (aka very tightly woven) fabric with step- by-step instructions as to what do do first, then next. And what knots to execute where. You just need a Hoop to tightly hold the fabric for a very firm working surface. I think what I liked most about Teresa's designs was this:
- Don't like the way a knot looks .. it's ok .. you just put knots close to it and you can't tell.
- Pulled a knot through by accident .. it's ok .. put another one in.
- How do you know if you have enough knots in .. hold it up to a light .. see any light showing through, put in another knot or two.