Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Felting Fla-looza Weekend ...

... is over .. so I'm back to the real world of cross stitch.

Finished up Blackbird Designs' Cardinal from their "Joyeux Noel" booklet and measured it yesterday for framing.  Going to order a double frame from Eastside Mouldings ... Valentine Red for the outer frame and Chalk White for the inner frame .. will really make the 'writing' and snowflakes pop!
Saturday night started All Through The Night's "Blackbirds" using the fabric and fiber they did.  My first time stitching with Valdani floss and I'm not sure I like it .. seems to knot/tangle quite a bit along the 2-ply 18" lengtht I'm using. I like the color effect .. just not sure 'yet' about the actual fiber.  So far, the verse is complete and about 1/8th of the border .. so further stitching time will tell.

Had the time of my life at my felting weekend with Sharon Costello at Raven Oaks Farm in Howel.  I'd like to take this moment to Introduce You To ..... Gunter!  Day One we did the head and face, built the body and started dressing him. Day Two we did the hands and feet, finished dressing and put on the hat and hair/eyebrows.  I absolutely LOVE him .. he looks like he's in the best mood after going to Market and either selling OR buying Wool!
Day 3 our class was entitled "Go Felt A Fish".  And that's what we did .. we made fantasy fish.  But what the class ACTUALLY taught was 'how' to make a 3-dimensional figure or bag that has NO SEAMS!  We also learned how to work with other fabrics and fibers and glass beads to 'decorate' our 'fish' without sewing, all during the Wet Felting process.  I now understand 'how' to make purses or bags or whatever else, and embellish with traditional and totally non-traditional materials. 
MY "go-felt-a-fish" was embellished with 'locks' of wool, so I'm thinking of Felting a Bagel for him to 'swim' on ... that way I'll have a  ... get ready .... a  ... gofeltafish with lox on a bagel!

1 comment:

The Cat Bastet said...

Gunter is wonderful! I love the way all your felt people project such distinct personality. The fish is cool, too.