Sunday, March 1, 2009

Writing N Things

My new toy - Kindle II - has arrived!! I ran, well really I drove, over to the shop last night after getting my mother settled in her 'new digs for the time being' at Crestwood Healthcare Center for rehab. More on that later! Diana and LouAnn thought I was there to check up on them OR to help them finish out the day. NAH .. I was stalking the postman!
This is so cool .. I've downloaded two books so far!! J.D.Robb's "Promises In Death" and "Divine Justice" by David Baldacci. Like I can read more than one book at a time .. well, I can actually, but sometimes I get confused but ... ! Then I got word tonight that Amazon has shipped the latest in the Dresden Files series from Jim Butcher ,"Small Favor". Too many books .. not enough time!
The Kindle II is incredibly light .. and it's a dream to read in bed at night while laying on my side. I can hold it easily in one hand with a finger on the 'next page' button and never get tired fingers! And they are right .. there is NO glare when you're reading, even in direct sunlight!!!
I will admit I miss 'turning pages' .. there's something comfortable with a book that you don't get with an electronic device, but I sure do like this thingy!!!

My mother. Yeah .. she fell and broke her pelvis. At 88 years old, she's afraid to stand or try to walk for fear she'll further injure her break (she can't!); she feels that if she waits until the pain goes away, it will be better for her to try walking then (it won't!); she's upset as she never thought she'd be in a position where she needed 'aid' like the "old people" who live at her apt. complex. deep sigh
She went into the hospital on Tuesday evening, was discharged into a rehab center on Saturday morning, and will be examined and begin physical therapy tomorrow, Monday. They 'will' work her and that will be the best thing for her ... so she can get back to her 'normal' lifestyle as quickly as possible. I go from being the bestest, most wonderful divine daughter (aka St. Deb) to "'someone who just doesn't understand what she's going through and isn't worth talking to right now". And since this 'rehab center' is also a nursing home, extended care unit, she's not at all satisfied to be there. (that's putting it lightly)
I'll be fine .. I'll be fine .. I'll be fine .. this too shall pass .. I'll be fine

I'm supposed to be paying bills right now .. so far I've put that off all day long and it's nearly bedtime. But .. the checkbook calls and it's time for tired fingers and envelope paper cuts, so I'll close for now and scribble, type, whatever, more later!
deb

4 comments:

Becky K in OK said...

I got my K2 this week also. So far I love it. Downloaded two of the freebies to test it out.

So sorry to hear what you are going with your mom.

Anonymous said...

Deb,

So sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm sure between the broken hip and the orthostatic changes in her BP she's been pretty unhappy. The fact that I have just received my fourth copy of this week's SNT newsletter tells me that you've had a rough time as well, haha.

Best wishes to you and your mother for calm waters and smooth sailing for a while. I think you both deserve it.

Linda (a fan of SNT and your blog)

The Cat Bastet said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom! I know this is hard for both of you. PT will not be fun but, as you know, it's necessary. Just keep smiling and reminding her of that. (Be like the penguins in Madescar: "Smile and wave, boys. Smile and wave." :)

Glad you like your Kindle!

Anonymous said...

So glad you like your K2. I just can't read that way. I fall asleep after the second page. However, my iPod has about 4 unabridged books in it right now. I just love being 'read' to. Makes cleaning the bathroom so much easier. ];>